Nothing's cuter or more fun than a new puppy. But it takes lots of work to get ready for them, to take good care of them, and to teach them to be a well-behaved member of the family. Idiot's Guides: Puppies gives readers everything they need to prepare for a new puppy and make the experience as smooth and enjoyable as possible, for the family as well as the puppy. In it, readers get:
- Dozens of fun-loving and helpful full-color photographs
- An assessment of what type of puppy is best for their home and lifestyle, plus tips on where to go to find one once they know what they are looking for.
- Steps for preparing for the new puppy before it arrives, including puppy-proofing the home and yard, buying the necessary tools and equipment, preparing kids and other pets, and setting up places for the puppy to sleep and eat.
- Tips on how much and when to feed your puppy, and how to choose among dry food, canned food, and home-cooked and natural options.
- Step-by-step training tutorials for housetraining, basic commands and manners, socialization, and solving problem behaviors such as biting and chewing.
- Expert medical advice from a veterinarian on what to watch for, and what to do when your puppy is sick or injured.